Wednesday, October 22, 2008

entries from my European journal...

June 7, 2008 10AM
Helen, our Irish tour guide, is telling us about Dante and the Renaissance... She said that "a Renaissance man" was someone who did too much or who did everything, who is always busy.
So i guess Keith is a Renaissance man...

June 10, 2008
11AM
I'm sitting in Notre Dame. I can't believe I'm really here.
This place is amazing.

Detailed statues. Soaring ceilings. Dazzling stained glass. Dim ambiance. Hushed whispers echoing along with footsteps on the cold marble.
A girls choir from America (funny to say.. America!) is now singing... their light voices vaulting through this work of art.

I now feel this beautiful lonely mood.
Ironic, yes? I love it. How I can find beauty in loneliness. In sadness. Things that many people fear, I can embrace and love. If life were always filled with perfect happiness it would get boring. So I've come to appreciate sad songs and minor-key music. Poems like The Lady of Shalott. There's such beauty and mystery in them.
Maybe I'm just weird.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

I miss that though I'm glad to be back!