Tuesday, November 18, 2008

a fairy tale or reality?

Last night, in the middle of a beautiful snowstorm, Keith and I drove to The Char (the most up-scale restaurant in Beckley) where we had a lovely candlelight dinner. We drove around before getting there, as I had no idea where we were going.... As we arrived at The Char, Keith still had me fooled, saying he wasn't sure if we had to have reservations since he'd never been there. We walked into the dimly lit room and were seated at a table overlooking the pond and white snow-covered hillside. We could see the snow pouring down under the streetlights down the road. It was perfectly cozy and romantic. As I sat down, I noticed a bouquet of red roses, an envelope that said "To my Valentine", a Nora Jones CD, and my favorite Dove chocolates! I was completely surprised! There was only one other couple in the room, so the ambiance was quiet and personal. We just sat and talked, and I still was completely oblivious to that fact that he was planning on proposing! At the end of a wonderful dinner (it was around 9pm), Keith said "Before we leave, I want you to read this", and picked up the envelope on the table. He asked me to read the card out loud; inside were "50 reasons why I love you". He had written out 50 things from "the list" in his journal. The very last one said "I'd love to hear your answer to this question..." At that very moment, in one smooth motion, he slid his chair back, dropped to one knee, pulled out a beautiful wooden box and opening it, said "Elizabeth Valentine Hodge, I love you, and I can't promise you a big house or fancy cars or the best clothes, I cant even promise that we'll never fight or that you'll never get annoyed with me, but what I can promise is that I will strive to be a godly husband, provider, protector, spiritual leader, and that I will be faithful to you, and love you until my dying day. Will you marry me?" I was laughing/crying and he had tears in his eyes; it was the moment I'd dreamed about all my life! My first words were "Is this for real?!?" Then "YES! Of course!" He slipped the most beautiful engagement ring on my finger-- it's a white gold band with a perfectly sparkly conflict-free diamond what reminds me of a snowflake!
As we stood up to hug each other and share a kiss, the servers and the other couple in the room began clapping and congratulating us.
It still seems surreal... like a fairy tale or dream. I'm so thankful it's reality and that I will be married (yes, MARRIED!!) to my bestest friend in the whole world!
What a wonderful dream-come-true

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

aw, Elizabeth! So beautiful!